Tuesday, November 9, 2010

No Child Support...Should it be a Disability?

I know a disability is regards to having a mental or physical impairment, but what about financial? Out of our entire population, 34% of families are single parents.  Out of those 34%, only 62% actually receive child support. It's difficult enough to raise children on two incomes. I know it can be done on one income, but my child's quality of life would have been much different if the father actually stepped up to the plate.

I'm tired of watching children being treated as second class citizens.  If the absent parent is in jail or decides to "spread his seed" and pay $5 a month per child, the children have to pay for it, and unfortunately the parent who actually cares pays as well.

Our legal system is so messed up and these losers know how to play the system. They don't have a job so they are told to attend the seek work order once a week.  They have up to 3 months to find a job.  They find the job, pay one payment, quit the job and start the 3 month process all over. Sure, they could put the loser in jail, but they don't because he definitely can't pay while he is there.  Well, after 16 years of this, I think they would get the hint he's not going to pay regardless where he is.

Single parents are condemned for how they do things, what they can and can't do, but no one ever takes a look at the loser who does absolutely nothing. I was shocked when I seen videos posted online where dads are committing suicide because they can't afford their child support. The only difference if the parents were together are the shared cost of living (rent, utilities, etc.) so I don't know why they don't just go find a roommate. The parent who is there maybe frustrated with the situation, but the last thing they are going to do is take their own life because they KNOW their children need them. No sympathy from me. Sorry.

Of all the things the single parents has to do in a given day, I don't understand why that absent parent don't take a second job to make ends meet.  I would love to have the free time to work 2 jobs. Instead, we have to go to Human Services to get a lousy hundred bucks in food stamps and WE look like the losers. Everyone likes to complain about the welfare system, but usually the absent parent is the cause.

I guess it's only fair to say the root cause of this entire problem would be sex education.  God forgive me when I was 19 and trusting a 35 year old that he had a vasectomy. Least to say, I paid for my past bad judgment, but the "father" gets off scotch free.

I'm just wondering why the government doesn't ban Human Services and pay out support owed to these kids. I guarantee the loser will pay back the government before his own child. That would be less money the government would have to pay for workers, they could make money off the interests the loser owes, less crime would be committed, and most importantly, the lives of our children would be way better off. Someone please explain to me why this hasn't happened?

A single parent could go one second without taking the needs of a child and the child would be taken away or face some kind of implication, yet the absent parent could go days, months or years not taking care of ANYTHING and that's ok? I'm not getting it.

What has happened to our culture that absent parents treat their own flesh and blood like the scum of the earth? My mom went through the exact same thing. She went beyond her call of duty to make sure my basic needs (and then some) were met. However, because my own father chose to be the loser, I had to take it upon myself to take care of things as an adult that should have been taken care of when I was a child, and then I have to take care of my own child with no help at all? I'm tired of paying for all these losers mistakes.

I love my daughter, and I know she will end up reading this. She was definitely a blessing in disguise. I would just love to tell her no problem when she asks for a $50 class yearbook or a $100 class ring or that I have an extra $50 a month for dance classes. These things don't matter though, because it's beyond basic needs. Last year, I remember child support did a review and they wouldn't count that I had eye and dental as part of her insurance. I'm guessing eye and dental is beyond basic needs in their book. Again, I just don't get it.

I have a friend with three kids and the father owes her over $80,000. Now that the youngest is almost 17, he wants her to drop the arrearages. I'm still laughing about that one. She took care of his responsibilities all those years, but who cares, right? She gave him a loan. I don't give loans unless I want to, but sad as it is, there is no choice here.

I have another friend who never received support. She had four kids and was working a job at $9.00 an hour. The cost in daycare ate up most of her money. I asked why she even bothered and her response was "anything to get ahead". Ahead????? Seriously????

I admire myself...I really do, and all the single parents who do the best they can for their children. I don't mean to refer the loser as "he" because I do have a lot of guy friends who are doing a great job taking on the single parent responsibility.

Bottom line...I just want to know why the government can't take over the payments or at the very least, why the single parent can't apply for disability. It's not just financial, but there is only so much one person can do...it takes two to properly raise a child, so half of the single parent is missing. I don't know. Sounds like a disability to me.

1 comment:

  1. Great post and I couldn't agree more about the system not working properly. I don't know what the right answer is though because ultimately the children are the ones that suffer.

    Like you said, jail doesn't work because they can't earn if they are in prison. Personally I believe that a rolling tally of all back pay would be a good start. I wouldn't even have a problem with interest being applied at a rate equal to inflation. Take income tax payments, etc. until it is paid. One thing I definitely think would make a difference is if they got judgments placed upon their credit rating so that when they needed a new car or home they would either be denied or be forced to pay a higher rate. That would at least motivate some of them, but unfortunately not all.. Another idea would be that they would be required to pay back the government for all support that was given during their lack of payments. (i.e. food stamps, welfare, or whatever.) Add to their debt and make it like a student loan where you can't file for bankruptcy on it.

    Maybe a little more extreme, but it might need to be discussed is the option of forcing them to either get their tubes tied or snipped if their lack of support lasts longer than a specific period of time. That way they will not be able to add to the problem... Plus, once they got caught back up, they could get it reversed if they wanted it too.

    All I do know is that this is a difficult topic and since I don't have any children (at least that I know about) I definitely don't know the answers or the pain that is felt by single parents out their not getting support. My hat is off to all those that find themselves in your situation. Your strength and dedication are a ray of sunshine on an otherwise dreary day...

    ReplyDelete